Interstate 94 runs just shy of 1,600 miles across seven states in the Midwestern part of the United States. Its eastern side begins right on the US and Canadian border near Port Huron, Michigan. And the western terminus is in Billings, Montana.
In this post, we’re going to focus on the path of I-94 through two states: Michigan and Illinois. We’ll highlight some of the cities and attractions you’ll find along I-94 from its easternmost point.
At the start, I-94 hugs the Canadian border as it moves south to Detroit, Michigan; This is first big city you’ll meet.
While it was hit hard during the economic downturn a few years back, Detroit is seeing a real renaissance these days. Some of the biggest attractions in Detroit include:
- Belle Island: A beautiful little piece of parkland situated right on the Detroit River.
- The Detroit Public Library: Detroit is chock full of incredible architecture and beautiful buildings, this is one you don’t want to miss!
- Henry Ford Museum: It’s not called “Motor City” for nothing, learn about Ford, cars and the history of Detroit here.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
If you’re passing through during college football season, there are few better places to see a game than at “The Big House” at the University of Michigan.
Keep driving West on I-94, and you’ll hit Kalamazoo; This is another college town that makes for the perfect place to stop and check out the state of the art Air Zoo Aerospace and Science Museum.
Saint Joseph, Michigan
One of the great things about Interstate 94 is it sits along the Great Lakes for much of the ride. Spend some time relaxing in a lakeside town, and try exploring the beaches and lighthouses of Saint Joseph.
I-94 passes through only a tiny slip of Indiana on its way from Michigan to Illinois along Lake Michigan. But if you’re going to plan a stop here, make sure it’s for Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
When it comes to traveling along Interstate 94 in Illinois, all roads lead to Chicago. While a stop in the Windy City can be a trip in and of itself, there are a few fun attractions you don’t want to miss while you’re there:
- Chicago Cubs: The Cubs are a fan favorite and have the 2nd oldest ballpark in baseball, take in the boys of summer playing a game at historic Wrigley Field
- Second City: Dozens of famous comics like Tina Fey and Steve Carell made their debuts at this comedy club.
- Magnificent Mile: If you love to shop, then you don’t want to miss this stretch of the city that’s full of high-end shops and boutiques
Hopefully, you’ve found plenty of options to explore while you’re driving I-94. Keep your eyes peeled, and you won’t miss some of the best this area of the country has to offer. For help with finding the best hotel deals during your visit, check out our sister site, HotelCoupons.com.